Thursday, January 9, 2014

Pop Art Design at the Barbican London



POP! Susse Ltd © 2014



One of the things I promised my self this year was to get out and about more and take advantage of living in this amazing city. So yesterday I did I hoped on a bus down to the Barbican and took some time out too see the Pop Art Design exhibition. Of course there where some of my favourite artists there. Although you have seen their artwork many times before in books and on gifts in gallery shops . It was so nice to see the actual sketches and live art work in real life and not behind a computer screen. There is a no photo policy at the exhibition but I can show some things I bought at the exhibition and give you a feel for this unique point in art history when art and design started to cross over and blur the boundaries, I  particularly enjoyed some  film footage and the graphic section. I  also loved some original printed fabric design by Andy Warhol in his early days of illustration and the graphic art work of Alexander Girard. Up stairs are some store shop fronts influenced by pop art. There is a short film from the Better Homes Exhibition featuring the home of the future . I had a little chuckle to myself watching it.
I also discovered the art work of Joe Tilson and bought this book  which is a collection of his artwork up to the present day. Born in 1928 he has been an an active artist all his life. I just love the way he collages his work together and the colours and patterns he uses.  So much of the artwork I saw at the exhibition seems so relevant to some of creations going on the world today. If your in London there are lots of events attached to the exhibition which closes on9th February.


Pop Art Design leaflet from the Barbican Exhibition




Pop postcards from the Barbican Exhibition




Pop postcards from the Barbican Exhibition


From the book Joe Tilson A Survey www.marlbourghfineart.com



From the book Joe Tilson A Survey www.marlbourghfineart.com



No comments: