Friday, May 1, 2015

From my desk this week - A journey


Hello from my desk this week. Look above here is my final submission for the April gallery at Lilla's design school assignment boot camp. The gallery is now open so check out the link here to find out a little more about the Global Art Gathering and the cool poster designs everyone came up with  here
Look below my creative journey making this piece. I have to say this was the toughest assignments I have done to date at Boot Camp. I am not sure if it was because there was a prize involved with the submission putting on the pressure. The lack of creative time with looking after Rocket during the school holidays and not having enough play time with my creative work. Or was it just thinking more in a graphic way. My roots are in pattern design so Yes! I had a hard time trying to really convey a message rather than something decorative applied to an object.
I enjoyed creating the illustrative elements and even trying out hand lettering. I had  many quick sketch layouts as you can see below by no means perfect drawings. When I have a flood of ideas my sketchbook and pen are like a printer connected to my brain.  The images have to come out in note form on the page. Anyway I thought I would share the behind the scenes with my sketch books and layouts for the poster (I ended up with about 20 different layouts) No wonder I went a bit bannas on this project.
In the end for me I wasn't so concerned about winning a prize but just rising to the challenge and getting my piece finished and in the gallery.Taking note of the whole experience. I soon discovered it was also a hard assignment for fellow boot campers. I guess as creative and working to briefs we can all go through those feelings of self doubt and but then happiness in pushing though new boundaries.


Have a lovely weekend. X X







No comments: